Tuesday, July 15, 2008

An update without a theme

Okay, honestly, I just don’t have it in me to come up with a cute title and theme for this post. Just a plain old update about our lives this time. I’m back to work this week after Ellie’s surgery. She’s doing quite well. We even attempted no painkillers today – she almost made it. I still think she would have, if she had taken a better morning nap, but she settled right down after being given some Tylenol. We ARE down to straight old Tylenol now, so that’s a really good thing.

I decided that my week wasn’t stressful enough last week, and decided it would be a great idea to paint!! What WAS I thinking? I painted Matthew’s room (mostly done) and an accent wall in our entryway. I like both. I just have to go in Matthew’s room and fill in some squares with varying colors. Let me just say part of me wishes I hadn’t done that. But I had the week off at home, and painting seems to be a project I just never can find time for – Matthew’s room has been hanging over my head since we moved into the house 2 years ago. A working mom dilemma - multi-tasking is the name of the game when you actually have a day off work. Don’t worry – Ellie was asleep whenever I worked on it. It took 4 days to get it all done with all the kid interruptions. At least it’s done. Mostly.

All that has been going on took its toll on AJ, our cat. He decided it would be a good time to find a nice plush carpeted area to pee on. Thanks, AJ. I’m attributing it to all the changes, the furniture rearrangements and Arm&Hammer changing their litter and making it more rocky – what’s up with that. Also, I have to admit that cats hate vinegar apparently, and I cleaned his box a couple weeks ago – WITH VINEGAR. Pardon me a second while I pat myself on the back for that smooth move. I ran out and got a brand new litter box, and different litter, filled up his food nicely for him, cleaned the water dish, gave him petromalt and treats, and all seems to be well. And yes – odor remover. It hasn’t worked completely yet, but I keep working on it. We think there must be another area that we haven’t found yet. I sure hope this problem stops. The last thing I want is a cat that pees all over the place. Ewww, gross!

Matthew’s birthday was Sunday, and since we've been so Ellie-centered, we celebrated in style. First of all, on Friday, he got to go to the zoo with daycare - and they had at least 2 birthday parties for other kids during the week. Saturday we took him to a fabulous little local train store where they have a b-day party room. We had pizza and cake and lots and lots of presents there, and family and friends. What a great idea, btw. A b-day party out of the house! Much easier! And it has a time a limit. Very key. :)

On Sunday, we went to church, which actually is a treat for Matthew. He loves it! Then in the evening we took him to Applebee's for dinner. He loves that place. He even got an ice cream sundae on the house! We came home and he opened his presents from us. Let me just say, this boy got an amazing amount of CRAP - oh, I mean, presents. My gosh. Trains, trains, trains. We'll be Thomas'd out. But thanks everybody. It's his absolute favorite thing in the world these days.

Here he is at Applebee's, my big old 3-year old. Amazing how grown up he looks to me!




4 comments:

  1. Oooo, so you're a painter too? ALL I did last week in FF was paint. You are a woman after my own heart! I am so VERY glad to hear that all went well, and of course Ellie'd tug on all the doctor's hearts....she's such a gorgeous little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Matthew!
    Glad you found some time to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cats who like to pee all over the house?? I would know ANYTHING about that....*cough cough*. So you have a ton of stuff going on AND you decide to paint as well. Your making all of us look bad here buddy. LOL. And Matthew does look so grown up! The picture shocked me a little. He is adorable and I'm glad he had a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I. Hate. Painting. It doesn't help that my husband was taught by a professional, and he criticizes everything. I leave it all to him. Perfectly fine by me!!!

    I'm so glad that Ellie is feeling better, and that you're just down to the plain old tylenol! That has to be a relief!!

    Happy Belated birthday Matthew! I thought about you guys on Sunday as we were celebrating the twins' birthday!!!! Glad he had a good weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete