Okay, don't get me wrong. We adore our children, but sometimes you just need a break. We realized we had not had a kidless weekend since before Ellie was born, last year for our anniversary. This year for our anniversary, we checked with the grandparents and they were willing to take the kids for the WHOLE weekend!! We were like kids again. And I truly believe a weekend away is good for everybody. Good for hubby and me and our relationship, good for the kids because their parents are rejuvenated and appreciate their kids more, good for the grandparents who get plenty of bonding time. And it was such a happy reunion! Both kids were so happy when we arrived to pick them up. So sweet. Of course, Ellie developed a cold, however, so that is an interesting development to deal with right away. A slight fever too, but not high enough to keep her out of daycare. Cross your fingers it stays that way and doesn't elevate any higher or turn into an ear infection. Yikes. Maybe teething? Who knows - it's always a mystery to solve, isn't it?
Anyways, being kids again ourselves looked like this.
I picked Sean up from work Friday afternoon and we headed over to the hospital to visit our niece. This was our last responsible thing to do... :) She is doing very well and was happy to see us. She did have one minor setback and had developed fluid around the lungs earlier that day, and had to be put to sleep again so they could put a tube in to drain the fluid. That has been going well so far. So she was very sleepy and napped most of the time we were there. She had just been turned in bed and was upset, so hubby held her hand and I kept my hand on the top of her head stroking her hair. She relaxed when she saw us, and just before we left she woke up and was answering questions. It was wonderful to hear her voice after all she had been through. Children are incredible how quickly they recover!!! She was to be in the hospital 6 days and may be there longer because of the fluid around the lungs development, but in spite of that she is doing great. And her parents are exhausted but managing.
From there we headed to Sonic and did the drive-in thing. Holy cow - go there, people, and get the banana split blast! Yummy!!! From there we headed to our college campus, where we met, and walked all over the place reminiscing about the good old days. It was fun, and we arrived home about midnight and collapsed for the night. Neither of us slept as well as we had hoped, but it was such a relief to wake up and not have crying, screaming, any noise of any kind.
Saturday we arose and went to Perkins for breakfast.....no brunch. That's right - we didn't even get our acts together until about 11 for breakfast. It was SO GOOD! We tried to go to a museum exhibit after that but found the earliest entrance time was about 3 hours later, and that wasn't going to fit in our schedule. So we pouted and instead got our shopping done. Target and the grocery store, oh, and home depot. Yeah, we know how to have a good time. Since Matthew wasn't here, I decided to finish up painting his room. I had the majority completed a few weeks ago, but had some squares around the room that I painted blue green and red. As I went, I discovered it was going to take multiple coats because of how saturated those colors were. Grrrr. I did one coat, and then we headed off to dinner and the drive-in movies!!!
We saw The Dark Knight and Hancock. They were showing a third - but the idea of getting home after 4am wasn't too appealing. Both movies were good, but I was a bit let down. Shhh, please don't shun me. Yeah, Heath Ledger had a great performance, but still as a complete psycho. Yikes! It was creepy. I'd say more, but I'm sure many of you out there are planning to see this still, so I'll hold off judgement. Hancock was pretty good, but got really strange in the last 1/2. Pretty funny, though, to see a superhero be a total jerk! It was good for some laughs.
Sunday we got up and I jumped out of bed and went straight to painting. Unfortunately it became clear it was going to take even another coat after that. Grrrr x 2. I called my parents to see if they minded keeping the kids for an extra couple hours so I could finish that painting. So we went to the museum and saw what we had planned to the day before, then came straight home so I could do a final coat. And it had to be a final coat no matter what since I ran out of paint... The coverage was good, though, so it all worked out. We put the room back together and were off to pick up the kids.
Boy were they happy! It was so nice to see them! And it was great getting butterflies in our tummies on the way there, just excited to see them! And they were excited to see us. Even Ellie started smiling away at us and bouncing in our arms when we held her. Too cute! Matthew could hardly finish his dinner he was so excited.
Thanks, Mom and Dad for the much needed break. We had a great weekend, and are ready to be non-disgruntled parents again!
YAY for a refresher! Trust me, I understand the need for a real break. I need to learn how to actually not feel guilty whe we do have breaks and go do something fun or soemthing instead of staying home and cleaning all night. That's no break!!!
ReplyDeleteEVERY parent deserves a break and every husband and wife need time to re-connect in the husband/wife way and not just the daddy/mommy way. I am so glad that you got to do just that!
I'm so glad to hear that you guys had fun. I was thinking of you this weekend, cause I was jealous! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you two were able to have a nice weekend together. Although I'm not sure painting counts as a "refresher".
ReplyDeleteOh and super happy about your niece. She is such a trooper.
We did a multi movie weekend a few weeks back. We saw Hancock, and Wanted. Both so different!!!
ReplyDeleteHooray on getting the room done, and getting to do some shopping kid free. Its amazingly different to walk around without a kid isn't it? Almost strange!
And did you find your house with no kids in it eery? It always creeps me out a little when they aren't there!!!
Glad you had fun, and that you're feeling good!