Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pictures

BEFORE

AFTER (warning: slightly frankenstein-ish)
She's been keeping her thumb and index finger in a pinching position ever since the cast came off. And notice the puffy factor.
As you can see, head on, her left hand looks pretty normal. You wouldn't even notice anything from a distance.
By the way, she's now happy and bathed. Bath time was good. She splashed away like she'd never been in the tub before! She kept her left hand out though, like she still has a cast on, but whenever I put her hand in the water, it didn't bother her.
We set up a follow up appointment with the surgeon to see how things have progressed in early January. We also set up an appointment to meet with an occupational therapist next week, and thankfully that will be at a nearby clinic instead of the hospital. That should be interesting. She still isn't using her hand much, and whimpers if she puts any weight on it. She was a little mad about that while she was crawling. She's got a 3-appendage scoot going to make up for it.
One last tidbit: They don't worry too much at this point about straightness of the fingers. They like to get all the fingers separated early and then let them grow on their own and generally see how things are doing when they're about 5 years old. Until then, we'll be seeing the doctor periodically to check on the progress.


3 comments:

  1. I'm just happy there are 5 little fingers there. Yah, it gives me a bit of the heeby jeebies, but I'm proud of her for going thru this. I'll be praying that the pain is short lived for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her little hand looks GREAT! I know its been quite the road to get here for you guys, but I hope that its only good things, and smooth sailing from here on out!

    ReplyDelete