Friday, August 22, 2008

Double Near Death Experiences in Duluth


I've been meaning to write about my day in Duluth I spent recently with my fabulous friend, Britt. First of all, she rocks, and we had so much fun! Second of all, what's better than a near death experience? DOUBLE the near death experiences...

Near death #1:
Upon arriving in Duluth, unbeknownst to us, there was a line of cars backing up for the ramp into Canal Park. The only ramp into Canal Park from the freeway. Fun. As luck would have it, there was a truck in front of us pulling a large trailer. We're driving along, discussing our families actually, when all of a sudden the truck whips into the shoulder, almost tipping over the trailer and the instant the truck does that, we suddenly view the stopped line of cars. By some miracle, I slammed the brakes and hopped in the left lane just in the nick of time. Talk about scary. Britt recovered almost immediately, but I shook for a while. I just felt awful knowing she was my passenger and would have taken the worst hit. Yikes!!
Near death #2:
While riding the not-at-all-embarassment-of-a-bicycle-built-for-two, the "deuce coupe," we seemed incapable of stopping laughing at ourselves. I had a brilliant idea to take the action shot below. (yes, those are my super cute feet)

So I'm rummaging away for the camera, not thinking about the fact that I'm the one steering, and all of a sudden Britt is yelling at me and then thunk, we fall off the path. You should have seen the look of terror on her face. That made me laugh even harder. Her biggest fear, and nagging point might I add, was tipping the deuce coupe. I kept rolling my eyes at the ridiculousness of that, and here we were, almost tipping it. Or here I was, rather, almost tipping it. HAHAHAHA, it still makes me laugh. And judging by her reaction, it was the 2nd near death experience of the day. Honestly, I think she was more scared by this one than the 1st.

This day was so much fun for me, my little escape! Plus what better company to spend the day with! Awesome. I want to go again. I, for some reason, am in love with Duluth. Every time I go, I think I want to live there and by the end of the day decide that I couldn't. As cool as it is, it's still a small town, and it is so isolated. And imagine a Lake Superior winter. Yuck! The bitter wind and gray sky. What I love about Duluth is the sunny, breezy day in the 70s - it's my absolute favorite - needing a sweatshirt in the morning and at night, but being able to get hot in the mid-day. But never too hot. And at night, I absolutely love the sound of the lake and the wind. It is heavenly. The perfect place in the summer for shorts and sweatshirt weather. I know. What a dork. It's the little things, people!

I feel obligated to mention one discovery I made, and unfortunately I don't have the proof right now. But Britt apparently likes photo ops. "Hey, julie, climb back in there in the middle of the field of flowers." "Hey, julie, do this." "Hey julie, do that." "Hey, julie, stop the car by that giant Paul Bunyon so we can set the timer and get a picure with him." "Hey, julie, stop by that giant chicken that looks like foghorn leghorn." See what I mean? It's unforunate not to have the proof and share these lovely photo creations.

A day in the name of fun.

2 comments:

  1. The first experience would have left me shaking too. . .and the tipping over one, I'm laughing just reading it!!! I love that area too, but you're right. A winter there would be MISERABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete