Monday, October 6, 2008

Confessions of a working mom

  • I am still late EVERYWHERE I go, I’d say at least 90% of the time.
  • I have no vacation time at work due to sick kids LAST year and have to make up any time off these days. This means a lot of work from home, work on Saturdays, etc. Yuck!
  • I have seen myself angrier than I knew I was capable of, compliments of a 3-year old having terrible 3’s instead of terrible 2’s. 3’s are much worse!! If I had known, I would have been praying for terrible 2’s right from the start. At least you’d know with 2-year-olds that there’s no point in trying to reason with them. With 3’s, you never know when it is better to reason with them, or when it is better to just let it go.
  • At work I have an official Office Space stapler. This has absolutely nothing to do with motherhood, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway.
  • I can’t remember the last time I vacummed.
  • I have a shopping bug. Bad. I want to shop and shop and shop. Luckily, we’ve needed enough things to keep me occupied shopping for those that I haven’t gone crazy. Yet. I hope I don’t lose willpower.
  • I have piles and piles of things “to be filed.”
  • I have 2,000 different ways to talk about poop and pee and using toilets, and a collection of 2,000 potty training methods that don’t work.
  • I am completely, 100% addicted to caffeine. Making matters worse, a friend recently confessed that she makes a big pot of coffee, puts it in the fridge, and can pour an iced coffee whenever she so chooses. Unfortunately, this sounded like a great idea to me.
  • I still cannot master the whole dinner issue. It is almost never ready before 6:30, and that’s right when the bedtime routine starts for the 9-month old, and by the time dinner is done and cleaned up, it’s time for the 3-year old to get ready for bed. I keep trying to turn a new leaf and get prepared in advance, but that means I have to do prep AFTER dinner, and I have a hard time getting myself to do anything at that time. This week, I’ve attempted to plot out the whole week, complete with lists of things to do the day before. Anal, perhaps, but I’ve got to keep myself focused somehow. (and yes, I even plotted in a lazy pizza night…)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds completely normal girl. And the iced coffee DID seem like a good idea. Although, perhaps I'm not a good person to bounce that idea off of, considering how much I love a blended ice coffee.

    And I've heard that it's definitely the terrible 3's. Terrible 2's are just a myth. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aahh, a Swingline stapler, eh? I'm jealous!

    I've often put left over coffee in the frig for an iced coffee fix. When running behind (like all the time) I will always choose to skip breakfast, but never coffee. Hang in there - I still can't get it together and I only have one 3 month old who isn't mobile and still sleeps more than is awake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its not anal at all. Planning ahead is the key to success for me. TRUST ME, it doesn't always work but when I do sit down once a week and plan, it saves me so much time during the weeknights and I'm always glad I did it. HALF the time, NOTHING gets done after dinner time because we are usually exhausted.
    There are three huge baskets of laundry on the floor and both sides of the sink are full of smelly dishes. I just can't move my body one more inch tonight.
    you're doing a great job :)
    Oh, and caffeine? SERIOUSLY the only way I survive.

    ReplyDelete