Did anyone know I have a tall 4th toe? I have 4 toes the same length all in a row, and the pinky drops off. You wouldn’t think this is a problem, but actually it IS. Shoes will fit perfect, but that darn 4th toe is always bumping the toe of the shoe. While it doesn’t seem like this would be a problem, it actually really hurts sometimes. And sandals usually make me look like I only have 4 toes, because the pinky is nowhere in sight. Odd. This got me to thinking perhaps I have other oddities people don’t know about. Not just about my toes or other bodily issues, but oddities of any type. So I want to compile a list, in case there ever comes a Julie trivia game. Or just in case you really care to find out what my quirks are.
I sing and put all of myself into it while I’m driving. I’ve always done it and its one of my favorite things. I usually won’t if anyone else is in the car, unless they, too, are a car singer. Kandi (my sis-in-law) – get ready for me. I can totally picture us rocking it out!
I have crazy eyes. Lately, I’ve developed this problem where it’s hard to get a decent picture of me without it looking like my eyes could pop out of my head. The more I consciously make an effort to control it, the worse it gets.
My mind is a steel trap for odd details – numbers, calculations, numbering systems, learning new things, abbreviations (except if we’re talking IM abbreviations – I’m totally lame about this, but I know the basics – LOL, ROFL, TTYL, BTW, WTF). When it comes to remembering where people work or what they do, forget about it. I’m the worst. Or remembering a story someone told, or a church sermon, or a book, or a movie plot, or anything relating to history. I completely shut down when it comes to these more important details. I may remember some weird detail a friend told me 15 years ago, but I can’t remember what they do. And I’ll be too embarrassed to ask.
If I see someone I know out shopping or somewhere, I tend to avoid them, even if I have no good reason. I’ve always been quiet and shy, and maybe I’m just avoiding anxiety related to that. I really can’t explain it. I hate that I do it. But I will say I’m getting better about this the older I get. Gosh, I hope I’ve never done this to anyone reading this. I don’t think I have.
And related to that, I avoid making phone calls, too. I hate making calls I have to make. I even have to gear myself up before I call family or friends. What is the deal with THAT?
I think one of my legs is longer than the other, and I can never remember which one it is. It always seems like khakis get shorter on one side before the other. AND I’m too short for talls and too tall for regulars when it comes to pants. And heaven forbid if I should have to hem all my talls shorter. I can usually make one or the other fit without extra work, but that probably means I’m spending a lot more time trying on clothes.
I love scrapbooking, sewing, and knitting, though I rarely spend time doing any of them. I assume one day when kids don’t need constant attention, I’ll be able to do these things.
I have hardly finished a book my whole life. I like to read, and I have good intentions to read. I buy books, and I may start them, but I rarely finish a book! I HAVE finished books, but not many. I am blaming elementary school. Remember book orders? And book fairs? They always enticed me, and I’d get books and read a couple chapters, and then they’d sit on my shelves. Sorry Mom and Dad.
I am a pile person. That’s right. I think I have a system, but nobody else thinks I do. My husband is probably rolling on the ground laughing about me admitting this. I make piles of things everywhere, thinking that at least I’m sorting it somehow. Or I’ll keep whittling away through the same pile, get rid of things no longer worth keeping, and put the rest of the pile back in the same spot to sort more ‘later.’ I was just talking to a coworker, who tells me she puts the mail in a certain spot, sorts through it often, puts the things to file in a special box on her filing cabinet, and files it weekly. Huh? I wish that were me. No, instead I just make a mountainous pile of things that need filing until one day I snap and spend hours at it. (I currently have a pile threatening to make me snap). Thank goodness for billpay.
I specialize in animal sounds. I have an especially good crow kaw, monkey sounds, and a decent turkey gobble. I have no idea how I figured this out! Lately, I’ve been making Ellie and Matthew giggle by doing it. And it works! When I first started dating Sean, he had no idea I had this talent. We were in the car, a couple crows flew in front of the car, and out of the clear blue, I started kawing. He almost drove right off the road he was laughing so hard!
I absolutely can not STAND when people use their feet in ways you are supposed you use your hands. Like to pick something up, for example. Or as my dear brother Jason would do, squeeze my calf muscles with his toes. EWWWW! Gross! I’m shuddering right now as I type… Can you say heebie jeebies? Because that’s what it gives me.
I have this weird thing where I think of people in terms of their future eulogy. Like if something really funny happens, or there is something funny or memorable about them, I will make a mental note to remember that for their future eulogy, even as said moment is happening. Okay, you may be thinking this sounds crazy, but my brother Jeff admitted to doing the same thing. It's not morbid - it helps me remember goofy little things about people. Just a couple of examples - my dad having a hangup about bringing red plastic forks to work in the summer (yes, only in the summer apparently - IDK), or a friend of mine and how she STILL sleeps with her 'cubby' teddy bear even though she's now married. (you know who you are)
That last one kind of tops the list I think, so that seems like an excellent place to stop. I'm sure there are countless other quirks about me, but do I really want to think about what makes me odd any longer right now? No, not really. Perhaps another time. I hope you have enjoyed this installment.
Until we meet again.... :)
holy moly Julie you have quite a list going on! LOL. Ok I try to address most of them in order (cause that's how I ROLL!)
ReplyDelete1. We would SO rock out! Can't wait to hang out again!
2. Well you do have some rather large eyes. I gotta say I'm a bit jealous. I've got pretty small peepers. But you and Jeff.... large baby, large.
3. I can remember gossip from somebody's life 15 years ago, but can't remember anything remotely important. Oh and I'm way too embarrassed to ask. I'll just sit there and look pretty. Or just sit there.
4. I'm a total avoider. People scare me. haha.
5. Hate upon hate making phone calls. Emails, txt's yes. Phone, no. why? Apparently I don't care for human interaction. See #4.
6. Go to a chiropractor. One of my legs is shorter than the other. I knew that before I saw him, but nobody believed me. It will throw out your spine alignment. Go. Trust me. It's awesome.
7. I don't even have children and can't find the time. what is wrong with me? lol.
8. you haven't finished a book? I practically finish one in a day! Ask Jeff. He calls me a machine. When I get into a book, I become obsessive. Crazy.
It runs in my family. Well your probably doing normal things, like hanging with your family. I'm a hermit.
9. Ah the piles. I have them too. Drives Jeff nuts.
10. Your animal sounds are outrageous. A gift I tell ya.
11. Ok Jason is officially gross. But I do use my feet/legs to close car doors or the dishwasher. Ok I'm gross too.
12. I soooooo did not know this about you and Jeff. I gotta admit that it is weird. Now when something funny happens I'm going to call him out on it and say "oh will you remember that for my eulogy?" hahaha.
Your hilarious! I love reading your posts. Miss you!
Yikes I wrote a novel! Hopefully you'll read the whole thing! hahaha. Just messin' with ya. :)
ReplyDeleteI never realized how much we actually have in common Julie!!! I too avoid people in public, and hate the phone. I think part of my issue is that i've been out of the land of the living for almost 7 years now. Its hard when you're used to talking to kids all day, to try to carry on an adult conversation! Typing though, THATS something I can do well!!!
ReplyDeleteThere was more, but my twins just woke up from their naps, so I'll catch ya later!!!
Have I mentioned I'm loving reading your blog??