Friday, June 13, 2008

Confessions of a Working Mom

My very first post! Awwwww



I've had this idea to blog for a while now, but I've been reluctant since I'm on facebook, myspace, and have 4 different email addresses and a totsite. What a nerd. I am consolidating, and I want my blog to be where people can easily look in one place to find out what they need to about me and the fam without needing to set up a password or become a member somewhere.



I have this idea to make a list of confessions of a working mom, which I am. I am a full time working mom and it is hard. I'm pulled in 5,000 different directions. I do not think non-working moms have things easy by any means, so let's not even try to go there. If I was a stay-at-home-mom, or SAHM if you're in the know, I would probably have to make confessions of a SAHM. Moms don't have it easy no matter what.



CONFESSIONS

I am ALWAYS late to work. Inevitably, getting ready in the morning does not go smoothly. I would get up earlier to get a better start, but let's face it. It wouldn't help, AND I already get up before 6.



I swear at work. I rarely swear any other time, but when the kids aren't near, it's like this strange, small freedom I have. I don't want to do it, but I do. :)



I don't make dinner way too often. This is bad for my confidence, probably less healthy for the whole family, tough on the pocket book. I say bad for my confidence, because every time, I feel guilty that I'm not the organized mom who can pop dinner in the oven (b/c I prepared it the day before), while entertaining a nearly 3-year old and spoon feeding a 5-month old who needs to eat the second we get home from daycare about 5pm.

My house is an absolute pit of despair, and never gets any better.

I've become a couch potato - by the time the kids are in bed, I'm dead on my feet.

I'm crabby WAAYYYY more than I want to be. I never thought I would be one of those moms, but low and behold, here I am. Honestly though, I try hard to fight it. I don't want to be remembered that way.

I cannot multi-task. You know the moms - the ones who can hold a baby, wash the dishes, cook dinner, AND talk on the phone at the same time. That is so not me. I feel like since I'm at work more than with the kids during the week, I don't get a chance to practice all that and get better at it. I cannot do anything while holding a baby. It's ridiculous.

I daydream of ways to finagle being able to be a SAHM (have you been paying attention? That's a 'stay-at-home-mom'. :)

I have been known to rail on SAHMs (sorry to all my friends who are SAHMs) for things like being able to sleep till 8am once in a while, being able to shop during the day without racing to get back to work from your lunch break, and for the fact that most child activities are during the day. It's hard to find evening activities - and let's face it - when you work all day, the last thing you want to do is get home, race to get dinner on, and then go somewhere else!

I confess I still love SAHMs and the only reason I rail on them occasionally is because I'm terribly jealous. Love you Kirsten and Danica!

I never practice my flute anymore, and it's devastating.

And because this is turning bitter sounding, I confess I would be nowhere without my husband. He is totally amazing with the kids and sharing the duties since we both work full time. Sean, you rock. I've honestly not seen many dads that jump right in with their kids like he does. He reads my mind and usually knows when I need help. It's awesome!! He's awesome!! And he lets me get out of the house now and then too, on my own! Yesssss

NOW END THE CONFESSIONS

I'll do more of these now and then, along with regular posts.

3 comments:

  1. I thought that you liked working and that you thought you wouldn't want to be a SAHM. Maybe something will happen and Sean will get a raise and you can work part time..... you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right. Its hard being a mom no matter which way you spin it. But the thing is, you're THEIR mom, and for that they'll always love you, even when its not easy, they'll always remember you as being awesome, even when its not perfect, and they'll strive to give their kids simular things as you gave them because you're making the best out of life for them!!!

    You're doing a great job!! You should be very proud of it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too funny. You should write a book. For reals!!!!!

    ReplyDelete