Monday, January 26, 2009

New territory

Is it just coincidence that this comment was first made by my husband in our 7th year of marriage? Unlucky 7, so they say. The 7-year-itch. Ick. I wish the 7th year didn’t have such a reputation, because I have been paranoid ever since our 6th anniversary. Ridiculous? Perhaps.

Today, I was debating between going to a church women’s night of massages, facials, and manicures, or staying home to assist the hubs with putting the kids to bed. By the way, was my just calling him ‘the hubs’ the equivalent of a man calling his wife ‘the wife?’ Ewww, my bad! But don’t make me change it. I lovingly call him the hubs. Back to the matter at hand….

So I’m trying to feel him out about it on the phone, to make sure he won’t snap if he has to do bedtime by himself after a long day (trust me, it stinks after a long day, especially when the 3-year old is in a new non-listening phase, but since it seems to be mommy induced the hubs should be ok). Hubs says, “speaking as a guy, I’ll be happier if you’re happy, so go ahead.” I was speechless. I didn’t know how to react. I’ve never heard him use the “if mom’s not happy, nobody is” line of reasoning before. Hmmm…. I’m still not sure how to take it. Most of you are probably thinking it’s about dang time he figures that out after nearly SEVEN years! But me? I’m still not sure.

Does it mean that (a) he thinks I’ve been a crabby bear, (b) he’s scared of what will happen if I don’t go get a massage, (c) he was saying in general that a happy spouse makes for a happier household, or even (d) that he is getting outspoken enough to say what he’s been thinking for 6 years? The truth is, it’s probably all of those. I guess I can live with that. I mean, it is true. If either one of you gets a chance to escape for a bit, you’ve got to take it. And as long as you both get that chance once in a while, it’s ok. It brings relaxation, helps you keep yourself in order.

Of course, I can’t help but feel bad about not spending much time with the kids tonight. But really? Once 6:30 hits, the bedtime ritual starts with the 1-year old anyway, and the rest of the evening is always a blur. By the time 1 goes down, it’s 3’s turn. And let’s face it. Given the odds lately, I’ll be seeing 1 around 3am. And let me tell you, THAT’S quality time there. Stumble groggily in, plug mouth with pacifier, stumble back to bed and throw the cat on the floor – sound like a great time? I’ve really got to start some pacifier rehab around here… and perhaps some cat isolation.

And before I scare everybody, no, we’re not going through the 7-year-itch. And I’m not worried. The 7th year just has a bad reputation. But we’re already halfway through it. YESSSSSSS

2 comments:

  1. Just had this same conversation with Nathan yesterday about him being happier when I'm happy and I had the same reaction you did. You and I are both blessed with a man who loves us and tries to understand us. Love it when you write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl you worry to much. Sean loves you beyond what number you have been married. I'm definitely going with "C". And by the way, can I go to your church? That sounds like an awesome women's night.

    ReplyDelete