Monday, April 12, 2010

Purpose

Recently, a good friend of mine was working on a project to map out her purpose in life and inquired what I thought my purpose in life is. I realized I should have an automatic response and didn't. Or at least, I did have one and lost it along the way, or forgot to think about it. How easy is it to do that?

So on this Monday morning, it finally dawned on me. I didn't want to go ultra-Christian on her and spout off a bunch of stuff I should say, and then I couldn't think of something that would encompass everything sort of in one little package. It was bothering me that my mind was drawing blank in this area. This morning, I had a keep-it-simple-stupid moment, and realized my purpose quite simply is to live out God's purpose in my life. By simply, I mean, a simple phrase, not that knowing or figuring out God's purpose is easy or automatic. If you don't actually consciously think about it on a daily basis, it means nothing. I've lost sight of it several times, including maybe for several years now.

I enjoy reading The Positive Mom's blog, and haven't for a while, and today I happened to find this little quote from a mountain climber. “Adventure isn't hanging on a rope off the side of a mountain. Adventure is an attitude that we must apply to the day-to-day obstacles of life - Facing new challenges, seizing new opportunities, Testing our resources against the unknown and in the process, Discovering our own unique potential.” John Amatt

If I wanted a resume "Objective" line for life, I'd want to say something like that - to face new challenges, seize new opportunities, test my resources against the unknown and in the process discover my own unique potential. How cool and uplifting is that for a Monday morning?

Dear Purpose, stay with me and don't let me forget you this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment