I actually did write this post on the 8th, but still had a little bit left to finish on it....
December 8th is a day I dread every year. Today is the 2nd anniversary of the death of my friend, Holly. The beginning of December for me now brings with it a weight. I have felt it both years now, and I don’t realize why until the date hits me. About Thanksgiving is when it starts and around Dec. 1st is when I realize the 8th is around the corner. The odd thing is, I dread it, but usually when the 8th arrives, I don’t think about until the day is half over. Weird how the mind works. Anyways, rather than being all somber and sad, I thought I’d share some memories of Holly in honor of her on this day.
Holly had the cutest giggle, and she giggled often.
We used to scream together while watching NKOTB video tapes. You know, the kind you actually went out to the store and rented that showed footage from while they were on tour and such. Dorks.
Not only that, we knew the moves to Hangin’ Tough.
We were considered “block heads” as in, New Kids on the ‘Block.’ She was Spiral Blockhead and I was Freddy Blockhead. Why? I don’t know.
We sat in the back in 1st grade and always got in trouble for giggling and talking.
We once giggled an entire day in 2nd grade about the color someone colored an elephant tusk.
We went through the grunge phase together. Plenty of flannel to go around.
Holly was THE WORST student driver! I had some good laughs in the back of their suburban while she was behind the wheel. I mean, confusing-the-brake-and-accelerator-type bad.
Holly was supposed to do a reading at my wedding, but the pastor accidentally blew right through it and all we could do was giggle about it afterwards.
Holly and I spent most Friday nights having sleepovers. One such sleepover got us in a lot of trouble and we never forgot my mom telling us “THIS ISN’T FAIR.” Of course, followed by fits of hysteric laughter!
We perfected tall bangs together. Sharing our tips to get them even taller along the way.
Our freshmen year we both decided to drop out of marching band for the fall. We went to the indoor show together and cried our eyes out because we wished we were in it SO bad. (oh, the drama :)
It seems so surreal that Holly is gone. I can't quite wrap my mind around that. Maybe I never will, but I hope to never forget the silliness from our friendship which started in kindergarten. Holly was a big part of my life growing up and I'm blessed to have had her in my life.
What a touching post. I'm sure she really and truly appreciated your friendship.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry, Julie...
ReplyDelete